Planting seeds for opportunity and innovation
The Joseph Banks Secondary Garden Club is a student led, staff supported initiative. Student volunteers commit to a weekly session that varies from basic, organic gardening concepts to craft activities, event planning and fundraising for upcoming projects, worm care and participating in local competitions and school challenges. Our Garden Club is inclusive of all students from Year 7 to Year 12. Our garden and vegetable produce are as unique as the students that create them.
Projects previously undertaken have provided students the opportunity to connect purposefully to the wider community as well as engage in school based projects. These include, the implementation and ongoing expansion of the organic vegetable garden, WasteWise Schools accreditation and a separate relaxation garden that has become a living acknowledgement of graduated cohorts. Our community projects have included, entering into the Wanneroo and Agricultural show, the selling and production of worm juice and opportunities to connect with local business to upgrade and sustain future projects.
Participating in the garden club allows students to develop and demonstrate the colleges values of
- Increasing environmental awareness
- Transferable skills
- Learning tools for a sustainable lifestyle
- An exercise in patience, trial and error and working with uncontrollable variables such as weather and soil condition
- Collaborating with peers, the school community and our wider community
- Opportunities for excursions/incursions related to gardening and sustainability
- Creating a sense of belonging to the school community
- Creating a sense of respect within the school grounds
- Social skills
- Sense of ownership and belonging
- Maintaining basic organic vegetable garden and production
- Self-driven to continue curiosity around garden care and sustainability
The Garden Club is supported by the college Youth Support Workers and Learning Support Mentors which allows for incidental pastoral care and social skill development. If you are interested in joining, please fill out the enquiry form on this page.